Travel Trade – How To Take Your Business to the World!
Toronto, Peterborough and Niagara, Ontario
November 4 - 9, 2018
Tourism Best Practice Mission Travel Trade – How To Take Your Business to the World!
The purpose of this mission is to showcase organizations, tourism operators and destinations that demonstrate Best Practices in working with and developing product for the travel trade. Destination(s) visited will have developed product that is on point for the travel trade market. Participants will learn from leading edge Canadian tour operators what it takes to work within this realm, and be exposed to small businesses that have created experiences and products for this market.
Leading us on this mission is Eva Gutsche a leading expert in the field of Partnering and working with the travel trade. Eva will share her insight and ideas for how to grow your business in this field while introducing us to leaders in the industry and a host of leading Signature Experience providers in the Niagara, Toronto and Peterborough region.
If you want to expand your markets and tap into the lucrative travel trade side of the industry then you won’t want to miss this opportunity!
Participants will learn:
- How the travel trade channels work
- How to build out product for different cultural markets
- Over-view of the Travel Trade
- The role of Tourism Agencies, Tours Operators and Travel Agents
- Market Insights, stats and trends – this content would be regional and could then be customized provincially
- Travel Trade – Testimonials
- The opportunity and benefits of working with the Travel Trade
- What the travel trade expects from the operator
- Pricing models for travel trade – rate integrity. In workshop case studies.
- Contracts – what to watch for
- Risks, insurance and liability
- Inventory management options
- Consumer protection acts globally and how it impacts the tourism operator locally:
- Approaching the travel trade partner – options for connecting
- Partnership Opportunities – trade shows, trade missions, sales calls, CSE
- Expanding the opportunity – working with your travel trade partner
- Season extension programs
Target participants for this mission will include tour operators, SME wanting to expand into the travel trade market or learn how to increase their existing offerings for this segment, DMO managers/marketers.
These are estimated costs.
Accommodations – $850, Food $650, Flights $500 – 900 (Depends on where you are flying from), Taxis/Travel $125
Average cost $2100 – $2500
Travel Trade Best Practice Mission Schedule
Day 1 – Sunday November 4 – Hilton Toronto Airport Hotel ($119 plus tax)
- Arrival into Toronto
- Meet at 5pm at the Hilton Toronto Airport – informal gathering and dinner ($119 plus tax)
Day 2 – Monday November 5 – Elmhirst Lodge ($149 plus tax)
- 8:30 am – Breakfast at the Hilton Toronto Airport followed by a trip overview
- Meet with Allison Fraser GM or Sales for Breakfast
- 10:00 am – Introduction to Travel Trade distribution channels and the international market (mini workshop format)
- Depart Toronto at 11:00 am for Kawartha – lunch stop enroute
- Arrival at the Elmhirst Resort
- 4:00 pm – presentation from the Elmhirst staff with a focus on their strategy with Travel Trade
- Tour of property. Elmhirst worked the Europe market directly for many years and then later through the Receptive Tour Operator Channel. Elmhirst resort offers a Canadian Signature Experience.
- Reception with Elmhirst team and Local Tourism reps
- Dinner at Elmhurst
Day 3 – Tuesday November 6 – Chelsea Hotel Toronto ($139 plus tax)
- 7:00 am – Breakfast at Elmhirst
- 8:15 am – Depart Elmhirst Resort – for Canadian Canoe Museum
- 9:00 am – Experience in the Peterborough/Kawarthas at the Canadian Canoe Museum (based on their Travel Trade market)
- 11am – Depart Canadian Canoe Museum for Sheraton Centre Hotel Toronto – arrive by 1pm
- 1:00pm – Travel Trade and Food & Beverage – meet with Michael O’connor of Quinns to hear learn about how Travel Trade helped grow and change his business
- 3pm – Depart Sheraton Centre Toronto to Billy Bishop Airport Toronto
- 3:30 pm – Meet with Sandra Costa and team at Porter Airlines and Porter Escapes (Porter visit). Learn about Porters strategy, partnering and contracting for Porter Escapes. Please bring business cards and information on your business.
- 4:30 pm – Depart Billy Bishop Airport Toronto for Chelsea Toronto
- Overnight Toronto at Chelsea
- Dinner Toronto
Day 4 – Wednesday November 7 – Randview Manor ($129 plus tax)
- 7:30 am – Breakfast at Chelsea Toronto (Jonathan still confirmed Chelsea contact who will join us for breakfast)
- 8:30 am – Depart Chelsea
- 9:30 am – Jonview meeting in the morning – meet with Jonview team to learn about the Receptive Tour Operators (RTO)role in the Global market and how to work with an RTO. Jonview is a major international player in the international market working on several continents.
- 11;30 am – Travel to Niagara Falls
- Arrival at Grandview Manor
- Lunch at Grandview Manor follow by presentation
- Online booking engines
- Airbnb – accommodation
- Airbnb – experiences
- 5:00 pm – Tour of Peller and Ten Below
- 7:00 pm Dinner at Ravine in Niagara on the Lake
- Overnight Grandview Manor
Day 5 – Thursday November 8 – Focus Asia Market – Chelsea Hotel Toronto ($139 plus tax)
- 7:30 am – Breakfast at Grandview Manor
- 8:30 am – Depart Grandview Manor for Markham ON
- 11am – Arrival at Golden Palace Banquet Hall Restaurant,
- Luncheon – Noon until 2pm
- Presentation on the China Market
- Lunch with invited buyers
- 2- 3 – opportunity to mix with invited buyers
- 3pm – Trip wrap up
- 4:00 PM – Depart Markham for Chelsea Toronto
- Return to Chelsea Toronto
- Overnight Toronto
Day 6 – Friday November 9 – Depart at your leisure.